Sheet Pan Chicken Gyros
Perfectly seasoned chicken baked to perfection on ONE SINGLE PAN! Serve in warm pitas for a quick weeknight meal!
Who doesn’t love a good chicken sheet pan dinner? It’s quick, it’s fast, and there’s minimal clean up involved. And I for one love this shortcut gyro sheet pan dinner.
The chicken is seasoned oh-so-perfectly with pantry spices – oregano, coriander, thyme, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt and pepper which then gets oven roasted in all its goodness. While that bakes, you can prep all your gyro toppings – romaine, tomatoes, onion, cucumber and crumbled feta.
You can keep it as simple or as packed of a gyro as desired. And you can warm those flatbreads right in the oven while your chicken finishes cooking. Serve warm with homemade tzatziki sauce for a complete speedy meal.
CAN I USE CHICKEN BREASTS?
Yes, chicken breasts can absolutely be used here but chicken thighs have more dark meat and a higher fat content which will yield juicier, more flavorful chicken.
DO I HAVE TO WRAP THEM IN PITA?
Not at all! These would go beautifully wrapped in naan or even tortilla!
CAN I MAKE THE TZATZIKI SAUCE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! My homemade tzatziki sauce can be set aside in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
HOW CAN I SERVE THESE?
You can throw everything onto a sheet pan, toppings + tzatziki sauce included, and serve. Best part = you’ll have less dishes to clean!
Sheet Pan Chicken Gyros
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 pita flatbreads
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Tzatziki sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- GARLIC MIXTURE: In a small bowl, combine garlic, oregano, coriander, thyme, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Place chicken in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Stir in olive oil and GARLIC MIXTURE; gently toss to combine.
- Place into oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through, stirring halfway. Stir in lemon juice.
- To serve, warm pitas in oven, about 4-5 minutes. Halve pitas, and fill with chicken, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, feta and tzatziki sauce.
- Serve immediately.